2022 Schedule will be also announced at our new website
County & Bicentennial Websites
The new Warren County website is now accessible: https://www.warrencountynj.gov
The new Bicentennial Cultural & Heritage page is also accessible: warren200.com
This is the new website for the Division of Cultural & Heritage Affairs and the Bicentennial Cultural & Heritage Advisory Board, has a lot of information from history of the Manor and Furnace, to the schedule of events for the museum and Summer Concerts Series, in addition to grant information and Advisory Board meetings, minutes, events, etc.
Welcome to Shippen Manor
Historic Shippen Manor is a restored 18th century iron master’s mansion that is located 1/4 mile west of the Route 31/Wall Street intersection in Oxford, on Belvidere Avenue.
Parking is limited and visitors are encouraged to park on nearby Washington Avenue. Handicapped parking is available at the Manor. There is no admission fee.
The museum is open the first and second Sundays from May to December. December tours are special topic and require (free) reservations.
For further information, please call (908) 453-4381.
See what we are up to on our Facebook page: @ShippenManor (see also Shippen Manor News if you do not have a Facebook account).
Group Tours / Field Trips
Group tours and field trips are based on the availability of our volunteers.
For more information, please call Gina at (908) 453-4381, x 223 or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Shippen Manor Events
Thank you for making the 2022 season a great one.
New Furnace Interpretive Panel
In honor of the Furnace’s 281st year, a new and more modern interpretive panel has been installed. There is a QR code that will take you to the Furnace’s history.
The furnace was originally built by Jonathan Robeson in 1741 and put into blast by 1743. It was improved and updated for “hot blast” in 1832 by William Henry of the Henry gun manufacturing family of Nazareth, PA. It ran, with a few years here and there of down time, until it was finally blasted out (made inoperable) in 1884.
It is the third oldest colonial furnace and the only one built near the mining (ore). A second furnace was built nearby in 1870 that was more “modern” and used intermittently until around the time of World War 2 when ceased operations. Furnace #2 was razed in later part of the 20th c.
Location: Corner of Washington Avenue and Cinder Street in Oxford, NJ.
County History Partnership Program (CHPP) Grants
Applications for the 2022 CHPP Grant (Round 1) are due on Fri., January 14, 2022. For more information about Rounds 1 and 2, please visit the Warren200.com page (LINK)
CHPP 2022 is closed. See website for more information.
CHPP 2023 Grant application has been posted on November 21, 2022.Round 1: January to December 2023 ($2000-2500)
Workshops are required for all interested groups.
If you are a local historical group, site or a non-profit looking for grant monies for a history-based project, and are interested in being put on the mailing list for the 2022 grant, please contact Gina at (908-453-4381, x. 224) for more information.
Shippen Manor Summer Lawn Concert Series
The 2023 schedule will not be posted until late spring of 2023.
Presented by the Warren County Cultural & Heritage Affairs, Division of the Department of Land Preservation, supported by the Warren County Board of Chosen Commissioners, and funded in part by the New Jersey State Council on the Arts/Department of State, a Partner Agency of the National Endowment for the Arts.
Teen Arts Festival (2022)
Information pertaining to the Teen Arts Festival (2022) can be found at our Warren200 page. [link]
The time frame for art project(s) is Spring through Fall 2022.
Warren Co. Arts Grant
If you are interested in learning more about the grant monies available for arts and music, please contact Dennis Austin, Arts Administrator (908) 453-4381, x. 224 or email.
For information pertaining to the 2022 Non-Matching Arts Grant.
Warren Co. Seniors’ Art Show (2022)
For more information pertaining to the Seniors’ Art Show (2022), please visit Warren200 for further information. [link]For questions, you may contact Dennis Austin, Arts Administrator (908) 453-4381, x. 224 or email email@example.com.
Bicentennial Cultural & Heritage Advisory Board
The Advisory Board was formally established on 22 May 2019 by the Warren County Board of Chosen Freeholders (now Board of Commissioners). Its mission is “to develop programs to promote public interest in local and county history, in the arts, and in the cultural values, goals and traditions of the community, the State, and the Nation pursuant to the Board of Chosen Freeholders (as of 2021, the County Board of Commissioners), Resolution of May 22, 2019.”
Meetings held in-person every third Tuesday of the month at 5:00 p.m. (as of April 2022). If you are interested in more information, contact Gina at (908) 453-4381, x. 223.
As of April 2022, all meetings will be in-person.
Department of Land Preservation
500 Mt. Pisgah Ave.
Oxford, New Jersey
(Lower level of the Pollution Control Financing Authority (PCFA), in the meeting room through the entrance doors on the right side of the lower level.)
Masks are not required and remain optional for all participants.
For more information regarding the meeting schedule and agendas, please visit Warren200.
The Advisory Board makes recommendations to the County Commissioners regarding the following:
- The establishment of museums, cultural programs, exhibits, and displays including the fine and performing arts;
- The undertaking of archaeological, genealogical, and historical research;
- The publishing of reports and engaging in such related activities to promote and develop public interest and understanding of historic and cultural matters;
- Regarding the restoration, operation, maintenance and preservation of the museums and historic properties acquired by the County and managed under the County’s Department of Land Preservation.
- Regarding applications for, and acceptance of, any gifts, grants or bequests, including any grants from the Federal Government or any agency thereof, the government of the State of New Jersey or any of its agencies, instrumentalities or political subdivisions, or any foundation, corporation, association or individual for the purposes set forth above;
- Regarding special events and activities that educate the public about Warren County’s bicentennial anniversary and publicly commemorate the 200th anniversary of the establishment of Warren County as a distinct political entity.
LINK for Bicentennial Cultural & Heritage Advisory Board monthly meetings. Meetings will be in-person as of April 2022.
Advisory Board Membership List
- Laurie Rapisardi, Chairperson (3-year term, expires 11 Sept 2022)
- Charles Fineran, Vice-chairperson (3-year term, expires 11 Sept 2023)
- Jane Primerano, Secretary (2-year term, expires 11 Sept 2023)
- Richard Gardner (3-year term, expires 11 Sept 2023)
- Mark Young (3-year term, expires 11 Sept 2025)
- Vacant position
- Vacant position
- Corey Tierney, Administrator, Department of Land Preservation
- Jennifer Correa-Kruegel, Community Service Aide, Department of Land Preservation
- Gina Rosseland, Assistant Administrator, Division of Cultural & Heritage Affairs, Department of Land Preservation
- Dennis Austin, Arts Administrator, Division of Cultural & Heritage Affairs, Department of Land Preservation
- Art Charlton, Director Public Information Department
- Mr. James Kern, Board of County Commissioners Liaison
The new website is located at warren200.com.
Friends of Shippen
The “Friends of Shippen” is a volunteer organization that is involved in promoting public awareness and an interest in county history, the arts, and in the cultural values, goals and traditions of the community, State and Nation.
In recent years, the Friends group have participated at the Manor as docents, to decorate the interior of the main floor for Victorian Christmas, as well as collecting items, artifacts and other documents and photographs for Shippen Manor.
If you are interested in joining the Friends of Shippen, please contact the Cultural & Heritage Affairs office (908) 453-4381.
For more information regarding the Friends, please visit the new Bicentennial Page.
Museum Volunteers Needed
The Museum is looking for interested individuals who would be able to serve as a greeters, docent and/or with special events during the 2022 season. You do not need prior experience.
For anyone interested, please contact Gina at the Cultural & Heritage Affairs office at Shippen Manor: (908) 453-4381 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
PARTNERSHIPS & AFFILIATIONS