County & Bicentennial Websites
The new Warren County website is now accessible: https://www.warrencountynj.gov
The new Bicentennial Cultural & Heritage page is also accessible: warren200.com
This is the new website for the Division of Cultural & Heritage Affairs and the Bicentennial Cultural & Heritage Advisory Board, has a lot of information from history of the Manor and Furnace, to the schedule of events for the museum and Summer Concerts Series, in addition to grant information and Advisory Board meetings, minutes, events, etc.
Welcome to Shippen Manor
Historic Shippen Manor is a restored 18th century iron master’s mansion that is located 1/4 mile west of the Route 31/Wall Street intersection in Oxford, on Belvidere Avenue.
Parking is limited and visitors are encouraged to park on nearby Washington Avenue. Handicapped parking is available at the Manor. There is no admission fee. The Friends of Shippen do accept donations from visitors– all donated monies are used for the museum and its collection.
Shippen Manor does not participate in paranormal investigations of our site or the Furnace’s. Our focus is history, education and preservation.
The museum is open the first and second Sundays from May to December. December tours are special topic and require (free) reservations.
For further information, please call (908) 453-4381.
See what we are up to on our Facebook page: @ShippenManor (see also Shippen Manor News if you do not have a Facebook account).
Group Tours / Field Trips
Group tours and field trips are based on the availability of our volunteers.
For more information, please call Gina at (908) 453-4381, x 223 or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Shippen Manor Events
Thank you for making the 2022 season a great one.
Our schedule for 2023 will be posted in the spring of 2023 at Warren200.com and here.
Please visit Events for our statement for inclement weather. If you are checking to see if a concert or outdoor event is cancelled due to inclement or severe weather, please visit Shippen Manor at Facebook. If you do not have a Facebook account, please visit “Shippen Manor News“.
Interpretive Panel at our Furnace
In honor of the Furnace’s 281st year, a new and more modern interpretive panel has been installed. There is a QR code that will take you to the Furnace’s history.
The furnace was originally built by Jonathan Robeson in 1741 and put into blast by 1743. It was improved and updated for “hot blast” in 1832 by William Henry of the Henry gun manufacturing family of Nazareth, PA. It ran, with a few years here and there of down time, until it was finally blasted out (made inoperable) in 1884.
It is the third oldest colonial furnace and the only one built near the mining (ore). A second furnace was built nearby in 1870 that was more “modern” and used intermittently until around the time of World War 2 when ceased operations. Furnace #2 was razed in later part of the 20th c.
Location: Corner of Washington Avenue and Cinder Street in Oxford, NJ.
County History Partnership Program (CHPP) Grants
For more information about the CHPP grant rounds, please visit Warren200.com. Please note that the 2024 grant cycle is the last for two rounds of funding.
If you are a local historical group, site or non-profit in Warren County and are looking for grant monies for a history-based project with funding from the NJ Historic Commission, please contact Gina (908) 453-4381 (email@example.com).
Shippen Summer Concert Series
2024 schedule is currently TBA. Once it is posted (spring), please visit here.
Presented by the Warren County Cultural & Heritage Affairs, Division of the Department of Land Preservation, supported by the Warren County Board of Chosen Commissioners, and funded in part by the New Jersey State Council on the Arts/Department of State, a Partner Agency of the National Endowment for the Arts.
Currently, the Warren Co. Teen Arts Festival is being discussed for 2025. Please visit this link for information once it is posted. [link]
Warren Co. Arts Grant
The Warren County Local Arts Programming (LAP) Grant is for non-profits in the county that are looking for arts-related funding. More information regarding WC Arts Grant, please visit the Arts section at Warren200.com.
Warren Co. Senior Citizen Art Show
For more information pertaining to the Senior Citizen Art Show, please visit Warren200 for further information. [link] The Senior Citizen Art Show will take place in May 2024.
For questions, you may call the office (908) 453-4381.
Bicentennial Cultural & Heritage Advisory Board
The Advisory Board was formally established on 22 May 2019 by the Warren County Board of Chosen Freeholders (now Board of Commissioners). Its mission is “to develop programs to promote public interest in local and county history, in the arts, and in the cultural values, goals and traditions of the community, the State, and the Nation pursuant to the Board of Chosen Freeholders (as of 2021, the County Board of Commissioners), Resolution of May 22, 2019.”
Meetings held in-person every third Tuesday of the month at 5:00 p.m. (as of April 2022). If you are interested in more information, contact Gina at (908) 453-4381, x. 223.
Department of Land Preservation
500 Mt. Pisgah Ave.
Oxford, New Jersey
(Lower level of the Pollution Control Financing Authority (PCFA), in the meeting room through the entrance doors on the right side of the lower level.)
Masks are not required and remain optional for all participants.
For more information regarding the meeting schedule and agendas, please visit Warren200.
The Advisory Board makes recommendations to the County Commissioners regarding the following:
- The establishment of museums, cultural programs, exhibits, and displays including the fine and performing arts;
- The undertaking of archaeological, genealogical, and historical research;
- The publishing of reports and engaging in such related activities to promote and develop public interest and understanding of historic and cultural matters;
- Regarding the restoration, operation, maintenance and preservation of the museums and historic properties acquired by the County and managed under the County’s Department of Land Preservation.
- Regarding applications for, and acceptance of, any gifts, grants or bequests, including any grants from the Federal Government or any agency thereof, the government of the State of New Jersey or any of its agencies, instrumentalities or political subdivisions, or any foundation, corporation, association or individual for the purposes set forth above;
- Regarding special events and activities that educate the public about Warren County’s bicentennial anniversary and publicly commemorate the 200th anniversary of the establishment of Warren County as a distinct political entity.
LINK for Bicentennial Cultural & Heritage Advisory Board monthly meetings. Meetings will be in-person as of April 2022.
Advisory Board Membership List
- Laurie Rapisardi, Chairperson (3-year term, expires 11 Sept 2025)
- Charles Fineran, Vice-chairperson (3-year term, expires 11 Sept 2024)
- Jane Primerano, Secretary (2-year term, expires 11 Sept 2024)
- Richard Gardner (3-year term, expires 11 Sept 2024)
- Mark Young (3-year term, expires 11 Sept 2025)
- Karin White (3-year term, expires 11 Sept 2025)
- Randy Piazza (2-year term, expires 11 Sept 2024)
- Corey Tierney, Administrator, Department of Land Preservation
- Kim Barnes, Department of Land Preservation Clerk
- Gina Rosseland, Assistant Administrator, Division of Cultural & Heritage Affairs, Department of Land Preservation
- Art Charlton, Director Public Information Department
- Commissioner Lori Ciesla, Board of County Commissioners Liaison
The new website is located at warren200.com.
Friends of Shippen
The “Friends of Shippen” is a volunteer organization that is involved in promoting public awareness and an interest in county history, the arts, and in the cultural values, goals and traditions of the community, State and Nation.
In recent years, the Friends group have participated at the Manor as docents, to decorate the interior of the main floor for Victorian Christmas, as well as collecting items, artifacts and other documents and photographs for Shippen Manor.
If you are interested in joining the Friends of Shippen, please contact the Cultural & Heritage Affairs office (908) 453-4381.
For more information regarding the Friends, please visit the new Bicentennial Page.
Museum & Concert Volunteers Needed
The Museum is looking for interested individuals who would be able to serve as a greeters, docent and/or with special events during the museum season. We are also actively seeking volunteers for our Summer Lawn Concert Series (on Sundays during the summer) You do not need prior experience.
For anyone interested, please contact Gina at the Cultural & Heritage Affairs office at Shippen Manor: (908) 453-4381 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
PARTNERSHIPS & AFFILIATIONS