Currently, the museum is closed due to Covid. You can check for updates and when we will be opening to the public on our EVENTS page and also FACEBOOK.
[For visitors who do not have a Facebook, they can view SHIPPEN MANOR NEWS for the posts.]
Wishing you health and wellness.
Welcome to Shippen Manor
Historic Shippen Manor is a restored 18th century iron master’s mansion that is located 1/4 mile west of the Route 31/Wall Street intersection in Oxford, on Belvidere Avenue.
Parking is limited and visitors are encouraged to park on nearby Washington Avenue. Handicapped parking is available at the Manor. There is no admission fee.
The museum and offices are currently closed to the public due to the current Covid situation.
For further information, please call (908) 453-4381.
See what we are up to on our Facebook page: @ShippenManor (see also Shippen Manor News if you do not have a Facebook account).
Group Tours / Field Trips
For the time being, Shippen Manor is unable to give tours and provide field trips as we are closed due to Covid. Once the museum is open and safety measures are implemented, then we can revisit private tours and trips.
Shippen Manor Museum Brochure
Shippen Manor Events
Tentative schedule posted on the Events Page.
County History Partnership Program (CHPP) Grants
Round 1 for the 2021 CHPP Grant is underway. The grant amount is $2000 to $2500 per regrantee group.
Round 2 for the 2021 CHPP Grant is underway. The grant amount is $1000 to $1500 per regrantee group.
If you are a local historical group, site or a non-profit looking for grant monies for a history-based project, and are interested in being put on the mailing list for the 2022 grant, please contact Gina at (908-453-4381, x. 224) for more information.
Shippen Manor Summer Lawn Concert Series
Scheduled posted on the Events Page.
Presented by the Warren County Cultural & Heritage Affairs, Division of the Department of Land Preservation, supported by the Warren County Board of Chosen Commissioners, and funded in part by the New Jersey State Council on the Arts/Department of State, a Partner Agency of the National Endowment for the Arts.
Warren Co. Arts Grant
If you are interested in learning more about the grant monies available for arts and music, please contact Dennis Austin (908) 453-4381, x. 224.
Bicentennial Cultural & Heritage Advisory Board
The Advisory Board was formally established on 22 May 2019 by the Warren County Board of Chosen Freeholders (now Board of Commissioners). Its mission is “to develop programs to promote public interest in local and county history, in the arts, and in the cultural values, goals and traditions of the community, the State, and the Nation pursuant to the Board of Chosen Freeholders (as of 2021, the County Board of Commissioners), Resolution of May 22, 2019.”
Meetings are every third Tuesday of the month and are, for the moment, virtual. If you are interested in more information, contact Gina at (908) 453-4381, x. 223.
The Advisory Board makes recommendations to the County Commissioners regarding the following:
- The establishment of museums, cultural programs, exhibits, and displays including the fine and performing arts;
- The undertaking of archaeological, genealogical, and historical research;
- The publishing of reports and engaging in such related activities to promote and develop public interest and understanding of historic and cultural matters;
- Regarding the restoration, operation, maintenance and preservation of the museums and historic properties acquired by the County and managed under the County’s Department of Land Preservation.
- Regarding applications for, and acceptance of, any gifts, grants or bequests, including any grants from the Federal Government or any agency thereof, the government of the State of New Jersey or any of its agencies, instrumentalities or political subdivisions, or any foundation, corporation, association or individual for the purposes set forth above;
- Regarding special events and activities that educate the public about Warren County’s bicentennial anniversary and publicly commemorate the 200th anniversary of the establishment of Warren County as a distinct political entity.
Advisory Board Membership List
- Laurie Rapisardi, Chairperson (3-year term, expires 11 Sept 2022)
- Charles Fineran, Vice-chairperson (3-year term, expires 11 Sept 2023)
- Jane Primerano, Secretary (2-year term, expires 11 Sept 2021)
- Richard Gardner (3-year term, expires 11 Sept 2023)
- Jeanette Iurato (3-year term, expires 11 Sept 2022)
- John Metroke (2-year term, expires 11 Sept 2021)
- Nancy Miller (3-year term, expires 11 Sept 2022)
- Corey Tierney, Administrator, Department of Land Preservation
- Matthew Duckworth, Community Service Aide, Department of Land Preservation
- Gina Rosseland, Assistant Administrator of Cultural & Heritage Affairs, Division of Land Preservation
- Dennis Austin, Arts Administrator, Cultural & Heritage Affairs, Division of Land Preservation
- Art Charlton, Director Public Information Department
- Mr. James Kern, Board of County Commissioners Liaison
Friends of Shippen
The “Friends of Shippen” is a volunteer organization that is involved in promoting public awareness and an interest in county history, the arts, and in the cultural values, goals and traditions of the community, State and Nation.
In recent years, the Friends group have participated at the Manor as docents, to decorate the interior of the main floor for Victorian Christmas, as well as collecting items, artifacts and other documents and photographs for Shippen Manor.
If you are interested in joining the Friends of Shippen, please contact the Cultural & Heritage Affairs office (908) 453-4381.
Museum Volunteers Needed
The Museum is looking for interested individuals who would be able to serve as a greeters, docent and/or with special events during the 2022 season. You do not need prior experience.
For anyone interested, please contact the Cultural & Heritage Affairs office (908) 453-4381.
PARTNERSHIPS & AFFILIATIONS